Sat 18 Nov 2017

Bromley RFC
Thanet Wanderers RUFC

With Thanet Wanderers second and Bromley third in the league, most expected this to be a close game but Bromley were much too strong for their visitors.  True, Thanet came with several regulars injured or unavailable but equally Bromley had several changes from last week and have their fair share of injuries at the moment.

In wet and chilly conditions, Bromley made the best of starts when Steve Pillow chipped the ball over the top, hacked it on and chased up to score the opening try.  He added the points to make it 7-0.  Bromley went on to totally dominate the first quarter with quick thinking from George Scott bamboozling the opposition.  A tap penalty after 12 minutes set up a break for Iain Gauld who released Tom Powell for a try in the corner.  With 20 minutes gone, another tap penalty allowed Tom Powell to score again, this time courtesy of a penetrating break by Freddie Bender.  Steve Pillow converted the second try and Bromley were now 19-0 up.

There was no let up for Thanet in the second quarter as Bromley continued to control territory and possession.  Thanet conceded a series of penalties and whilst Bromley could have gone for goal, they chose to run the ball and were eventually rewarded with a try from Freddie Bender.  Steve Pillow converted to make the half time score 26-0.

Thanet had just been through a pretty torrid first half with not even a sniff at the Bromley line.  They made some changes at half time and looked more promising in the early part of the second half.  However, the Bromley defence was strong throughout and Thanet could not find a way through.   Their cause was not helped when they were reduced to 14 men for ten minutes thanks to a dangerous tackle on George Scott and they were punished by a well taken Steve Pillow penalty.  That score put the result beyond doubt, with about 25 minutes remaining.  Thanet might have got on the scoreboard not long after, but Joe Simpson was lucky that his intercepted pass went to a rather tired looking second row who lacked support and the half chance was gone.

Bromley finished the game off in the last 10 minutes with two copycat tries.  In both cases, penalties were kicked to the corner and Thanet had no answer to the well organised Bromley rolling maul.  The first try was by Elliot Godden and was well converted by Steve Pillow from the touchline.  He couldn’t do the same for Mike Haissell’s try in the same position but for the second week in a row, he was Bromley’s top scorer.  What will the News Shopper make of that?

All in all, this was a very solid Bromley performance, with the best first half of rugby seen at Barnet Wood Road for some time.  They started the game with all guns blazing and worked together as a team throughout.  The scrum was dominant, regularly pushing Thanet back on their own put in and the line out was effective.  The back line did the basics well but showed flair as well and good tackling meant the Bromley line stayed intact.  On this performance, Bromley will feel confident whatever the draw for the next round brings. A final word for London Society referee Martin Wilson, who handled the game efficiently with clear and consistent decisions throughout.

Next week, Bromley return to league action with a home game against Old Dunstonians, kick off is at 2.30.




Lewis Carter


Iain Gauld


Freddie Bender 1T


Steve Pillow 1T, 4C, 1P


Tom Powell 2T


Joe Simpson


George Scott


Tommy Brown


Michael Haissell 1T


Nathan Wilson


Josh Cross


Richard Paddick


Tom Standfield


Sean Beckett 2T


Jake Moore



Matt Barrie


Elliot Godden 1T


Danny Harris


Aidan Devane