Thu 08 Feb 2018 09:51

Sat 3 Feb 2018

Bromley RFC
Crowborough RFC

There was a time not very long ago when Barnet Wood Road was a bit of a fortress to visiting sides but Bromley’s indifferent League form continued as they fell to a well drilled Crowborough side, intent on turning round the narrow home defeat they suffered at the hands of Bromley in October.  Playing up the slope in the first half, Bromley were pinned down in their own half for most of the first quarter.  With the Crowborough scrum dominating, any ball that Bromley did get was slow, enabling the cover to get up quickly and frustrate any break out.   It was a good 15 minutes before Bromley got a sniff of a scoring opportunity from an attacking lineout but after a couple of phases, Crowborough turned the ball over and repelled the attack.  With scoring chances limited, it was unsurprising that after 25 minutes, Crowborough full back Chris Yates opted to attempt a long-distance penalty, but it fell just short.  Not long after, Crowborough were back on the attack and were held up over the Bromley line.  Bromley dealt with the ensuing scrum well and disrupted the attack, but Crowborough recovered and regrouped and No 8 Matthew Botterman got over for the try.  Chris Yates’s conversion hit the upright.

With the half drawing to a close, Bromley attacked from deep and some good passing led to a try for Steve Pillow in the corner which he was unable to convert.  If Bromley could have turned around all square at half time, they could have been rightly content but as it was, it was Crowborough who regained the lead just before half time.  With Crowborough camped on the Bromley line, it looked as if Bromley might hold out but they couldn’t stop flanker Callum Main, who was a thorn in Bromley’s side all afternoon, from crossing for a well deserved try.  Chris Yates added the extras to make the half time score 5-12.

The second half was a tight affair, with both sides trying to create scoring opportunities.  Crowborough managed to pin Bromley down for long periods and Bromley struggled to find gaps with the ball in hand.  Kicking for territory down the slope was an obvious option, but all too often the Crowborough back three were well placed to deal with the threat.  Bromley’s first real scoring chance came after 15 minutes but Steve Pillow’s penalty attempt hit the post.  Five minutes, Chris Yates scored the only points of the half when Bromley were penalised for offside.  Thereafter, Bromley travailed but were getting no change from a vigorous Crowborough defence.  At the death, it looked as if Crowborough might extend their lead but they were again held up over the line.  Once again, Bromley successfully disrupted the Crowborough scrum, regained possession and made their way down the field to see if they could at least grab a losing bonus point.  However, the move broke down, leaving the referee to call no side and leave Bromley empty handed.

Despite the result from a home perspective, this was an entertaining game of rugby, played in difficult conditions.  Bromley were missing a couple of regulars and perhaps George Scott and Mike Haisell might have added a bit more to Bromley in attack, though Jack Saunders had a fine game up against a very competent Crowborough back row, as did Richard Paddick.  Bromley return to league action on Saturday 17th February when they play Aylesford Bulls away, kick off is at 2.30pm.




Tommy Scott


Freddie Bender


Steve Pillow


Sean Beckett


Alex Griffiths


Joe Simpson


Jonny Griffiths


Richard Paddick


Jack Saunders


Josh Cross


John Wright


Aidan Devane


Jake Moore


Callum Hughton


Nick Formoy



Tom Standfield


Jonny Leverett


Danny Harris